Alopecia is defined as the loss of air from areas where hair normally grows. It is an autoimmune skin disease. Alopecia areata is a rapid and complete loss of hair in one or most often several round or oval patches, usually on the scalp, bearded area, eyebrows, eyelashes and less commonly on other hairy areas of the body.
It appears to affect men and women equally. Worldwide, around 2 percent of people will experience it at some time in their life. In 8 out of 10 people, the hair grows back spontaneously within a year.
With the forms of alopecia areata, body’s own immune system attacks healthy hair follicles, causing them to become much smaller and drastically slow down production to the point that hair growth may stop. Hair falls out in small patches around the size of a quarter. Sometimes, it can lead to the complete loss of hair on the scalp.
The condition can affect anyone at any age; mostly it occurs before the age of 30. Approximately 1.7% of the population will experience an episode of alopecia aerata during their lifetime. It occurs more frequently in people who have affected family members.
There are different types of alopecia they are:
- Alopecia areata Monoculars: baldness only in one spot that may occur anywhere on the head.
- Alopecia areata Multilocular: refers to multiple areas of hair loss.
- Alopecia areata Barbae: baldness limited to the beard.
- Alopecia areata Totalis: patient suffers hair loss over the entire scalp.
- Alopecia areata universalis: patient loses all of the body hair, including the public area.
• Exposure to allergens, irritants, toxins, burns, injuries, and infections.
• Certain medications.
• Emotional stress
• Acute or chronic phases of high fever.
• Repeated bleaching, perming and dyeing
• Hormonal changes.
• Hair loss in total or in small patches over all areas of the body.
• Sometimes the fingernails and toenails may be affected.
• Early signs include raised spots, or follicular papules, which appear in reddened plaques or patches, about 1 inch across.
Homeopathy treatment for Alopecia:
Homeopathy treatment has been successful and has shown excellent results in the treatment of Alopecia areata. Homeopathy helps in reducing the hair fall. Homeopathy helps in removal of the root cause to provide long lasting relief