The tongue is considered to be one of strongest muscles in one’s body. It also helps us taste the food, swallow as well as talk. A healthy tongue is pink in color and is also covered with small nodules referred to as papillae. But at times, one’s tongue may also have a white coating. This is a common problem and can also lead to symptoms such as bad breath or a bitter taste in one’s mouth.
Why does tongue appear white?
The tongue appears white when food debris, bacteria, and dead cells get lodged between inflamed papillae. This inflammation can happen due to dehydration, dry mouth, excessive alcohol use, fever, and smoking. Improper oral hygiene and eating highly acidic or sugary foods can also contribute to a white-coated tongue.
Certain diseases such as liver congestion, jaundice, lupus, candida, oral thrush, leukoplakia, and syphilis can also play an important role. There are times when it can occur on account of side effects of some of the antibiotics as well as medications.
In most of the cases, the condition is indeed harmless as well as temporary. Most probably, it could be on account of dehydration. One must drink water, natural fruit juices or other healthy fluids throughout the day after the first one notices a white tongue. When one’s body does become hydrated, the problem will also go away naturally.
There are also several natural treatments in order to help remove the coating and also keep one’s mouth healthy as well as clean. In case the issue is severe and persists, then it is better to consult one’s doctor to rule out the possibility of it being caused by a serious condition.
Salt is considered to be a good home remedy to treat a white-coated tongue. The rather coarse nature of salt will indeed work as a natural tongue scraper in order to remove debris and dead cells. Plus, it contains antiseptic property that will also help kill the bacteria that can result in bad breath.
• Sprinkle some salt on one’s white tongue and then gently scrub with a toothbrush for a minute. Then also rinse thoroughly with some warm water. Repeat this twice daily and one will surely get the results one wants in a week.
• Also, mix 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and then gargle with some salt water thoroughly and then do spit it out. Repeat this several times a day until one is satisfied with the results.
Probiotics are considered to be a good remedy for a white-coated tongue that has been caused by the growth of candida fungus. Probiotics contain L. acidophilus as well as B. lactic cultures, which does help control the growth of bacteria as well as fungi in one’s mouth.
• Mix the given powder of one probiotics capsule with a little bit of water. Brush one’s teeth as usual and then make use of the solution as a mouthwash, swishing and swallowing. Then drink a glass of water. Repeat this treatment at least once daily for a week.
• Also include yogurt with live cultures in one’s diet.
• Alternatively, take the probiotic supplements at least 3 times per day.
3. Vegetable Glycerin
Another very popular tried-and-tested home remedy for a white-coated tongue is the vegetable glycerin. It is especially very effective when the problem is on account of dry mouth. It can also even help to get rid of bad breath. Vegetable glycerin is also readily available in health food stores.
1. Put a little vegetable glycerin on one’s tongue.
2. Lightly brush one’s tongue with a rather soft-bristle toothbrush.
3. Rinse one’s mouth thoroughly with some warm water.
4. Do this twice daily until one’s tongue does return to its natural pink color.
4. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is an age-old Ayurvedic practice that is an excellent way to be able to treat white tongue, especially when it is on account of oral thrush. Oil pulling will also help to eliminate the yeast from oral thrush. Plus, it also helps in expelling toxins from one’s body.
1. Before brushing one’s teeth in the morning, put 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin coconut oil in one’s mouth.
2. Swish the content around one’s mouth and between teeth and also under the tongue.
3. Do this for about 15 minutes or rather until the oil turns milky in color.
4. Spit out the oil in the trash and also rinse one’s mouth with some warm water.
5. Do this once daily for one’s overall oral health.
Oil pulling can be done with sesame oil also.
Note: Do not try to gargle or swallow the oil. Get rid of it in the trash. Do not also spit it down the drain as it can clog the drain.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has a strong antibacterial property that does help kill bacteria that gets accumulated on the surface of one’s tongue. This, in turn, can also help treat a white-coated tongue. Plus, hydrogen peroxide can also make one’s teeth white. For oral health, it is also highly recommended to rather make use of only 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution.
1. One must prepare a mixture of about 1 part hydrogen peroxide to about 2 parts of water.
2. Dip a rather soft toothbrush into the mixture and also gently scrape one’s tongue.
3. Spit it out and then also rinse one’s mouth thoroughly with water.
4. Follow this remedy once daily for 3 to 4 days.
Note: Do not actually swallow hydrogen peroxide.
6. Aloe Vera Juice
On account of its anti-inflammatory and healing properties, aloe vera can also help treat oral problems. Being an antimicrobial, it also does kill bacteria that do cause white tongue as well as bad breath.
1. Put about 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice in one’s mouth.
2. Swish it around for about a few minutes and then spit it out.
3. Then drink 1 tablespoon of aloe vera juice.
4. Repeat this remedy a few times daily for 2 weeks.